Georgia Southern provides students e-mail accounts to use for class work as well as campus communication. Here is how to use Georgia Southern e-mail.
Your Georgia Southern e-mail account is located in the https://my.georgiasouthern.edu portal. Your e-mail account will be available 24 hours after you have registered for classes the first time. Here is how you find it:
1. Go to the https://my.georgiasouthern.edu website and log in to the portal. If your email account has been activated, you will have an e-mail icon listed here.
Your e-mail address will be the same as your username to access https://my.georgiasouthern.edu–the first letter of your first name followed by your last name, followed by @email.georgiasouthern.edu. If your last name is more than seven letters long, just the first seven letters will be given. If there is already an account with the same name, then a number will be inserted at the end. Your e-mail address will be- email@example.com.
Your initial password to access https://my.georgiasouthern.edu/ will be your Eagle ID. You will be asked to change your password before gaining access to your accounts – i.e., email, WINGS and WebCT. If you would like to change your password or have forgotten it, please select “Have You Forgotten Your Password” located underneath the login window.
In WINGS, there is also an alias listed that can be used instead of your e-mail address when sending e-mails. This alias, based on your name, is automatically created and cannot be changed. In your e-mail address, the domain is listed after the @ sign. When you are telling someone your e-mail address, if you use your alias, you must use the shorter domain address of @georgiasouthern.edu. Your e-mail address using your alias will be -
In summary, you can use either the e-mail address- firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
You can now use your account name and new password to access your e-mail. There are several methods for accessing your e-mail:
1. Use a web browser (Internet Explorer or Netscape) to access your mail through https://my.georgiasouthern.edu.
2. Forward your Georgia Southern e-mail to an existing e-mail account. If you have an account that you are already familiar with, you can send all of your Georgia Southern mail there so that you just have one place to check it. See instructions below on how to set this up.
If you are unsure about what method to use, we suggest that you use the first option above, your web browser for my.georgiasouthern. This method is easy to use, can be used from any web browser and you do not have to set up anything.
No matter which method you use, note that you have a limited amount of disk space on the Georgia Southern network. All student accounts are created with a quota of 50 megabytes. Delete e-mail that you do not need off the Georgia Southern server so that you do not go over the quota. Note that you can check to see how much space you have used by looking at the top of the email window. Your quota will be displayed in the header.
Many students already have e-mail accounts (through AOL, Yahoo, Hotmail or other service) that they use. It is easier for them to forward their Georgia Southern e-mail to their existing account so that they do not have to check two separate e-mail accounts. Here are instructions to forward your Georgia Southern e-mail to another account:
• Log https://my.georgiasouthern.edu and click on the e-mail icon.
• Click on Options.
• Choose Forwarding. Select the radial button before YES for Forwarding? Next to the Forwarding Address: type in the e-mail address where you would like to have your messages sent (ex. firstname.lastname@example.org).
• Then click on the Apply button at the top of the page. From now on, all of your Georgia Southern e-mail will be forwarded to your other account.
• Note: If you want to change it back, take click on the radial button next to No in the Forward line and delete all text in the box next to Forwarding Address: and click Apply.
If you have forgotten your password, you can reset your password to your original one (your Eagle ID), by clicking on HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN YOUR PASSWORD on the main https://my.georgiasouthern.edu page.